So you have discovered mold and mildew somewhere in your basement. Now you are asking yourself how to get it out of there and keep from coming back. Some of you may even wonder if it is safe to live in your home let alone clean it at this point! Almost every home is going to have mold and mildew present in it at some point. Only those with known medical problems should be fearful of it but I recommend taking safety procedures as we clean it up. Follow along as we eliminate any trace of them from your home. bterapiaberles
Before we begin cleaning the mold and mildew we need to make sure its not going to come back. You are going to need to eliminate all of the moisture from the air in your basement to prevent it from coming back. In my other articles we went about removing the water from your basement so if you have followed these steps you should be almost done. For those of you that have found any mold in your basement I would recommend installing a dehumidifier to remove any last presence of moisture in the air. If you have eliminated the moisture then you have controlled your mold and mildew problem. Without they will no longer be able to thrive in your home. Keep the basement warm and dry and you should not have issues with regrowth after we have cleaned the area.
Now on to the clean up of any affected areas. As always you need to wear your gloves, animelovedsafety glasses,and very importantly a respirator! Once you have donned the appropriate clothing begin by scrubbing the mold with a mold remover of your choice from your local home improvement store. I would recommend these over common bleach as mold has a tendency to come back when cleaned with it. Mix your product as recommended and scrub your walls and floor where needed. It should be as simple as that! For more info please visit these sites:- https://coloradowebimpressions.com/
Once you have cleaned the area you will need to seal it for optimal results. The best paints for basement areas and mold prevention tend to be oil based. They help to seal out moisture better and will cling to your masonry walls more readily then a normal latex paint. Ask your local paint department for recommendations. When painting with oil based paints especially, keep the area well ventilated. They tend to cause a lot of fumes and many people get headaches from these products. After drying the smells will go away but you may need to leave your home for awhile so be prepared and use a respirator.